Skip to main content


Showing posts from January, 2010

Crayon Carry-All

The other day I got a little bee in my bonnet and decided to try my hand at making a bag for my daughter's friend for one of her Birthday gifts. I had made her a card and thought that a coordinating sewn project would be fun. I had a couple of fat quarters lying around that I had purchased a few years ago to make some bibs. I decided that they would work perfectly for my project.

I had seen a bag similar to this a while back at the sewing store, but it was made with loud, bright colors and wasn't my cup of tea, if you will. Since I don't have a pattern, I just had to make it up as I went along. The only goal I had was that it would be large enough to hold coloring books and that the small slots would be the right size to hold crayons; mission accomplished. Since I had the four fabrics, I decided to use each pattern for an element on the bag. I really like how it turned out and I hope she likes it.

I used one of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine for the top of th…

"Cute as a Button" star bib

I had some extra fabric left over from another baby project that I still need to share. I also had a baby project that I needed to put together for Papertrey Ink, so I decided to incoporate the left over fabric into the project to create a theme. You can see the sneak peek here. The bib is one of the projects housed inside the box. When I sold these bibs in the various boutiques I did, I called them "Cute as a Button" baby bibs, hence the title of today's post.

I created a tag to accompany the bib, which you can see in this photo. As I have mentioned before, I don't have a pattern for these bibs. I have just made it up as I have gone along, but I will give you the basic instructions.
Step 1: You will need (11) 3 1/2 inch squares of assorted fabrics. You will also need enough fabric for the back. You will also need double fold bias tape for the neck and tie.

Step 2: Create a 9 patch square, assembling fabric as desired. Add the two extra squares to the right and left t…

Dots and Damask Rag Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of the rag quilt that I made for my baby. It has been sitting here done for over a week now, but the sky has been so hazy that getting a good photograph has proven to be tough. Today, the sun has peeked through for a while so I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
I have a bajillion blankets from my oldest, but of course the new baby needs new things that are just for him. I had a lot of fun sewing this and picking the fabrics. I asked the sales lady at the quilt shop if the patterns looked too girly and she assured me that they didn't. Now that it is done, I don't think it looks girly. They had the same fabrics but with pink and brown and I am itching to make a girl one as well. I don't know of anyone who is having a girl, but I could always make it and save it for the next baby girl.
This particular quilt is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, rather than the 9 that I normally do. I was one square off from having enough to do 9, …