Friday, November 12, 2010

Sweet Divinity Baby Bib

Hello! It's me again! Shocking I know, but here nonetheless! I am excited to share the baby bib I worked on yesterday. I used the scraps from my quilt from my last post to make a quick bib. It is the same as all of my Cute as a button as far as the squares being constructed, but I made a few changes on this one. Since I am right in the middle of putting bibs on my little one at least 3 times a day, I decided to add a snap for the closure. I usually put double fold bias tape and have a tie, but sometimes you are just in a hurry, baby is cranky and tying a bow is the last thing that you want to do. I hope that the snap holds us. I used the Prym-Dritz snap system and I have had trouble before on another project, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the snap will hold up!

I also changed things up and did the decorative stitching vertical, rather than on the diagonal. I chose to do it this way simply because of the pattern of the fabric that I ended up using right in the middle. I didn't want to compete with the diagonal pattern that was already going on. I added a felt flower and a button, which I know is a choking hazard, but I will tell her that she can clip it off if she feels like she needs to. I didn't tack it down to tight, so it be easy to clip it off. I just couldn't resist! The flower die, felt and Buttons are all from Papertrey Ink.


I made a card to match the bib and quilt! I just couldn't resist! I had already made her a card, but after it was all said and done, I had to make one to coordinate! I will be working on some Onesies next, which I will share when I am done!



If you would like more details about the card, you can visit me here. Have a great day and Happy Sewing!!!!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sweet Divinity Baby Quilt

A friend of mine is adopting a baby any day now and I wanted to make her a quilt for her new little bundle. I absolutely fell in love with this beautiful fabric from Riley Blake Designs called "Sweet Divinity". The sample at the store used pinwheels on their design so I decided to use pinwheels for mine as well. I have done pinwheels before, so I didn't have to fiddle at all. I wanted a smaller, more blankety quilt; something that she could throw on the baby while in the car seat or cuddle up with. I have had larger quilts and because of the bulk, they really aren't comfortable or practical. I didn't use regular batting, either. I opted for diaper flannel and it worked out perfectly.

I machine quilted it myself but didn't do anything too fancy.  I added the rick-rack to liven it up and I really like how it turned out. You have no idea how much I wanted to add buttons, but they are a choking hazard, unfortunately. A friend of mine has her daughter machine quilt her things at the high school for free. I might have to check into that in the future.
I told the kids to put in a movie last night, so that I could sit down with them while I finished handsewing the binding. It went quicker than I thought since it is a smaller project.
I had so much fun making this quilt and I will be making a few bibs with the leftover fabric, so I will post those when I am done. I have always found that when my creative well runs dry, it is nice to switch mediums to get them flowing again. My papercrafting well has been running dry lately so it was nice to sit down to the sewing machine. Have a great rest of the week and happy sewing!