For the top, I simply sewed strips of quarter yard fabric together in each of the five prints. For the bottom, I cut 5 inch squares of all of the fabrics, sewed them together in a line (like a quilt) and then folded it in half, pressed it and sewed it to the top portion.
I really liked how the different seams came together to give it a quirky look.
Once that was done, I was able to sew the printed ribbon to the bottom. It is from Martha Stewart and I have been hoarding it for years. It was the perfect project to use it on. After the ribbon was in place, I sewed the whole thing into a tube. I made a simple elastic waistband and I was done.....well....almost. I had to add a few buttons to the bottom. I chose to add one where each of the large panels intersected with the bottom band. I alternated between black, green and white. I think it gave it just the right amount of extra for a simple skirt! LOL!
Forgive me for the photos...I took them in the morning before school, so the light wasn't right, yet. The thing I like about this skirt is that you can turn it whichever way for the front or back depending on what shirt you use. I had so much fun making it and I have some left over fabric that I might make a table runner with it. We shall see......
We are having a Halloween party this Saturday for my kids and their friends so I will be busy. I hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween!
Thank you Emma for being such a great little model.