Patriotic Pillowcase Dress

 I am the type of mom that likes to get as much mileage out of my kids clothes as I possibly can. I buy them to last and I try and take care of them, too. With that being said, my darling Emma has been wearing the same patriotic clothes for a few years now. I think if I see the same outfits in my holiday pictures I might go crazy. She asked me if I would make her a new pillowcase dress for the 4th of July. We are lucky here in Utah that we also celebrate the 24th of July, which is a state holiday, in a patriotic way as well. July is just red, white and blue all month long.



 I found my fabric choices at Hancock Fabric, which I haven't been to in years. I usually like to go to the quilts shops for my fabric, but it was in the direction I was headed so that is where I went. LOL! They had a section of fabric at the front that was all patriotic, but was a little over the top for the dress. I did find the stars there and thankfully they were half off. The other 2 fabrics I found over in the calico section. The fabric for the base of the dress coincidentally was named "Firecracker".




 The bottom is simply two different fabrics folded in half and then sewn to the bottom. I love how easily these dresses work up.





 You can see the straps a little better in this photo as well as the gathered front piece.  The straps are made by making simple bias tape or not necessarily on the bias, but folded the same way.






You can see my daughter's cute nails here, which she is so proud of! I'm just going to humor her a little! If you are short on time, this is the project for you! I really like this because you could make it shorter and just have it be a little top with jean shorts or leggings, too! Super fast, but super cute! We are headed to the fireworks tonight so she is all ready to go!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is so cute!

Popular Posts