Be My Valentine fabric banner

Welcome! I am doing a "14 days of Valentines" series on my two blogs this month. I will be posting things randomly on both blogs. Today is project #2! If you would like to see yesterday's project, you can see it here  Remember that Valentine's Day fabric I referred to in my last post. I mentioned I wanted to make a table runner last year and didn't get around to it. Well...hopefully I have enough left over for the table runner because I quickly whipped this up on Friday. We were having dinner guests and I felt my front door needed something more, so I got to work making this.  The funny part is that it looked better here than on my front door.




 I love making fabric banners almost as much as my paper ones.  I think when I have more time I will add a few more bells and whistles, but for my super quick project, I think it turned out cute.
 The first thing you will need to do is figure out how long and how big you would like your banner. I knew that I would be using it for the front door, so I estimated how many triangles I would need. I wanted it to stretch across but have some swag as well.  I cut rectangles 5 by 7 1/2 inches. Turn them right sides together for the next step (I didn't but it probably is better to do it). Place the rectangles on your cutting mat and find the center using the markings on the mat and cut your triangles. Sew them up, turn them out, and press them. I used double fold bias tape to adhere everything together on this banner. This is thin...I didn't have anything thicker, but I would recommend at least 1/2 inch-1 inch. You can pin everything in place ahead of time if that is how you like to do things, but I found it to be much easier to just open the bias tape as I went and add each triangle.  I put my needle in the down position and as I got close the the end of each triangle, I lifted the presser foot, opened the bias tape and added the next triangle. It worked well and I wasn't getting stuck with pins! I used a zig zag stitch to make sure it was secure.



Here is another fun fabric tip for all of you non sewers. I have this frame on my mantel and I switch out the fabric. I found the frame at Goodwill and had a painting on canvas inside. I knew I was only buying it for the frame, but the canvas worked well as a base to wrap the fabric around. You can switch out the fabric for the season.

Comments

Popular Posts