Skip to main content

Be My Valentine fabric banner

Welcome! I am doing a "14 days of Valentines" series on my two blogs this month. I will be posting things randomly on both blogs. Today is project #2! If you would like to see yesterday's project, you can see it here  Remember that Valentine's Day fabric I referred to in my last post. I mentioned I wanted to make a table runner last year and didn't get around to it. Well...hopefully I have enough left over for the table runner because I quickly whipped this up on Friday. We were having dinner guests and I felt my front door needed something more, so I got to work making this.  The funny part is that it looked better here than on my front door.




 I love making fabric banners almost as much as my paper ones.  I think when I have more time I will add a few more bells and whistles, but for my super quick project, I think it turned out cute.
 The first thing you will need to do is figure out how long and how big you would like your banner. I knew that I would be using it for the front door, so I estimated how many triangles I would need. I wanted it to stretch across but have some swag as well.  I cut rectangles 5 by 7 1/2 inches. Turn them right sides together for the next step (I didn't but it probably is better to do it). Place the rectangles on your cutting mat and find the center using the markings on the mat and cut your triangles. Sew them up, turn them out, and press them. I used double fold bias tape to adhere everything together on this banner. This is thin...I didn't have anything thicker, but I would recommend at least 1/2 inch-1 inch. You can pin everything in place ahead of time if that is how you like to do things, but I found it to be much easier to just open the bias tape as I went and add each triangle.  I put my needle in the down position and as I got close the the end of each triangle, I lifted the presser foot, opened the bias tape and added the next triangle. It worked well and I wasn't getting stuck with pins! I used a zig zag stitch to make sure it was secure.



Here is another fun fabric tip for all of you non sewers. I have this frame on my mantel and I switch out the fabric. I found the frame at Goodwill and had a painting on canvas inside. I knew I was only buying it for the frame, but the canvas worked well as a base to wrap the fabric around. You can switch out the fabric for the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots and Damask Rag Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of the rag quilt that I made for my baby. It has been sitting here done for over a week now, but the sky has been so hazy that getting a good photograph has proven to be tough. Today, the sun has peeked through for a while so I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
I have a bajillion blankets from my oldest, but of course the new baby needs new things that are just for him. I had a lot of fun sewing this and picking the fabrics. I asked the sales lady at the quilt shop if the patterns looked too girly and she assured me that they didn't. Now that it is done, I don't think it looks girly. They had the same fabrics but with pink and brown and I am itching to make a girl one as well. I don't know of anyone who is having a girl, but I could always make it and save it for the next baby girl.
This particular quilt is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, rather than the 9 that I normally do. I was one square off from having enough to do 9, …

Corduroy Rag Quilt

I can't believe it has been over a year since I have posted anything here. The funny thing is that the project I am sharing today is also a rag quilt. My SIL is having a baby girl in the next week or 2, so I wanted to get some things made for her before I began on my own baby projects. I am hoping to post a bit more here since I have some fun projects lined up to make. I don't know what it is about babies that gets me motivated to sew. I also have a few Holiday projects that I am hoping to get done as well.

I purchased this baby wale corduroy a couple of months ago at Hobby and Lobby and fell in love. I wasn't sure how well it would work up into a rag quilt, but the results were fabulous. As I mentioned in my previous post, flannel has a tendency to pill, which drives me nuts. The corduroy is just as soft and perfect as it was prior to washing. The only "complaint" I have with the corduroy is the mess that it makes. I was covered in tiny pieces of fabric, my craf…

The {Flutterby} Basket

I've been having so much fun making all kinds of Easter and Spring projects! I whipped up a whole bunch of carrot treat boxes that you can see HERE. After I was done, I really wanted some type of basket to put them in. My sweet friend made me a really cute fabric basket years ago. I had asked her if I could have the pattern and she told me she had gotten it off of Pinterest. I decided that it would just be easier to come up with something myself. There are many different versions of this type of fabric container, but this is my version. I have included a tutorial if you'd like to make one yourself. I'm calling it The {Flutterby} Basket.
I'm planning on giving these to friends and family  filled with all kinds of Easter goodies, including my carrot treat boxes {of course}.
I had so much fun putting them together and they are perfect to hold all kinds of things! 







My tree has blossomed and it was the perfect backdrop to photograph a few of the different fabric combinations.

I…