Crayon Carry-All

The other day I got a little bee in my bonnet and decided to try my hand at making a bag for my daughter's friend for one of her Birthday gifts. I had made her a card and thought that a coordinating sewn project would be fun. I had a couple of fat quarters lying around that I had purchased a few years ago to make some bibs. I decided that they would work perfectly for my project.

I had seen a bag similar to this a while back at the sewing store, but it was made with loud, bright colors and wasn't my cup of tea, if you will. Since I don't have a pattern, I just had to make it up as I went along. The only goal I had was that it would be large enough to hold coloring books and that the small slots would be the right size to hold crayons; mission accomplished. Since I had the four fabrics, I decided to use each pattern for an element on the bag. I really like how it turned out and I hope she likes it.






I used one of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine for the top of the crayon pockets, which worked out well, because I was able use the pattern as a guide for how wide each pocket needed to be. When it was all said and done, it ended up that you can fit two crayons to a pocket. Go figure! Oh well...that way she will have more crayons at hand. Also, I only put crayons on the outside that match the bag, but I am sure once she uses it, it will be filled with mis-matched combinations! LOL!

The photo on the left shows what it looks like without the crayons and you can get a better idea of how it is constructed. I added some buttons to the bottom for some added detail and fun.

Here it is, with the tag and card, which was the inspiration for the whole project.

If I make another one, I will make note of the dimensions and measurements that I use. After making this one, I know what worked and what didn't and what I would change. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

Missy said…
This is awesome. I love it. Great project for kids while on the go. Dr's appointments, road trips, etc. TFS!!!
Katie said…
What a lucky girl to get not only such a beautiful handmade card, but this little bag is just perfect!
valthecraftygal said…
So sweet and what a pretty bag to take in the car, to church or the doctor's office.
C said…
I fell in love with the card when I saw it, now to see the bag as well...totally inspired.
I can't wait for you to put the dimensions. Thanks for sharing the instructions for the rag quilt. I made one for a pregnant friends and she could not believe I made it. Thanks for the info and inspiration. Keep posting more instructions if you can. I love making all the projects you have on this blog!!!

Popular Posts