Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Crayon Carry-All

The other day I got a little bee in my bonnet and decided to try my hand at making a bag for my daughter's friend for one of her Birthday gifts. I had made her a card and thought that a coordinating sewn project would be fun. I had a couple of fat quarters lying around that I had purchased a few years ago to make some bibs. I decided that they would work perfectly for my project.

I had seen a bag similar to this a while back at the sewing store, but it was made with loud, bright colors and wasn't my cup of tea, if you will. Since I don't have a pattern, I just had to make it up as I went along. The only goal I had was that it would be large enough to hold coloring books and that the small slots would be the right size to hold crayons; mission accomplished. Since I had the four fabrics, I decided to use each pattern for an element on the bag. I really like how it turned out and I hope she likes it.






I used one of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine for the top of the crayon pockets, which worked out well, because I was able use the pattern as a guide for how wide each pocket needed to be. When it was all said and done, it ended up that you can fit two crayons to a pocket. Go figure! Oh well...that way she will have more crayons at hand. Also, I only put crayons on the outside that match the bag, but I am sure once she uses it, it will be filled with mis-matched combinations! LOL!

The photo on the left shows what it looks like without the crayons and you can get a better idea of how it is constructed. I added some buttons to the bottom for some added detail and fun.

Here it is, with the tag and card, which was the inspiration for the whole project.

If I make another one, I will make note of the dimensions and measurements that I use. After making this one, I know what worked and what didn't and what I would change. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Cute as a Button" star bib

I had some extra fabric left over from another baby project that I still need to share. I also had a baby project that I needed to put together for Papertrey Ink, so I decided to incoporate the left over fabric into the project to create a theme. You can see the sneak peek here. The bib is one of the projects housed inside the box. When I sold these bibs in the various boutiques I did, I called them "Cute as a Button" baby bibs, hence the title of today's post.

I created a tag to accompany the bib, which you can see in this photo. As I have mentioned before, I don't have a pattern for these bibs. I have just made it up as I have gone along, but I will give you the basic instructions.
Step 1: You will need (11) 3 1/2 inch squares of assorted fabrics. You will also need enough fabric for the back. You will also need double fold bias tape for the neck and tie.

Step 2: Create a 9 patch square, assembling fabric as desired. Add the two extra squares to the right and left top sides. Press seams open as you go.

Step 3: Lay the bib front, right sides to together, over the top of the back fabric and cut out. I like to pin the two together for the next step.

Step 4: Fold the entire piece in half and "round" the corners. I just eyeball it and hope for the best. Also, cut a hole for the neck as well, keeping it as symmetrical as possible.

Step 5: Sew around the entire bib using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave an opening to turn the bib out. Before turning it out, fringe cut the seam allowance around the neck hole, rounded corners and trim the corners on the two top sides of the bib. These simple cuts will allow the bib to turn out better and have nicer seams. I use a bone folder to turn out all of my seams on all of my sewing projects. Press.

Step 6: Use a zig-zag stitch, straight stitch or any desired stitch and top stitch around the entire bib front. Next, use decorative stitches on the diagonal across the top of the bib.

Step 7: Pin double fold bias tape in place around the neck hole leaving enough for the ties. Zig-Zag stitch.

As you can see, I didn't add any ric-rac around the edge of this one. If you are going to add some, simply sandwich it between the two layers before you start sewing.

Have fun and I would love to hear from you if you make one!

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dots and Damask Rag Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of the rag quilt that I made for my baby. It has been sitting here done for over a week now, but the sky has been so hazy that getting a good photograph has proven to be tough. Today, the sun has peeked through for a while so I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
I have a bajillion blankets from my oldest, but of course the new baby needs new things that are just for him. I had a lot of fun sewing this and picking the fabrics. I asked the sales lady at the quilt shop if the patterns looked too girly and she assured me that they didn't. Now that it is done, I don't think it looks girly. They had the same fabrics but with pink and brown and I am itching to make a girl one as well. I don't know of anyone who is having a girl, but I could always make it and save it for the next baby girl.
This particular quilt is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, rather than the 9 that I normally do. I was one square off from having enough to do 9, so rather than going and buying more fabric, I just made the quilt a little smaller. Since I used 4 fabrics, the lady at the quilt shop recommended that I just get 3/4 of a yard of each rather than the full yard I get when I use 3 fabrics, but it ended up by not being enough by one tiny square! Go figure! Oh well. It is large enough for my needs since my baby is no doubt going to be a little peanut! LOL! I have some other projects that I finished this week that I will be sharing as well.