Skip to main content

Uniquely Handmade baby ensemble

 It's always a good day when I get to work on a baby project. I was invited to a baby shower for one of the gals in my previous neighborhood and it couldn't have come at a better time. The holidays were ending but my desires to be crafty and creative were still in full force. It was seriously the best after Christmas therapy I could have asked for. My older kiddos were home from school so I could just work on things each day and not have to worry about what the little ones were up to.  There is something so relaxing and rejuvenating about the creative process.

 I ALWAYS make rag quilts so I decided to switch things up and work on a traditional quilt instead. I fell in love with all of these gorgeous fabrics from Hobby Lobby. The quilt turned out so cute, I almost kept it for myself! Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone!

 The fabric that I used for the backing is my most favorite...it is so bright and cheery! The quilting was all done on my sewing machine and I just went with a stipple pattern. I always love how it looks when it it all done.  I'm still a beginner, but I hope to improve with each project that I work on. I have some fabric for a table runner that I was SUPPOSED to make last Valentine's Day, but I didn't get around to it. Hopefully I can get that done and practice some more.




 Here is a little trio of headbands that I created to match the quilt.  I also found this adorable stamp at Hobby Lobby when I was picking up the fabric and I knew how cute it would be to make all of the items have a "boutique" feel to them. I do apologize for the photos, I waited until the morning of the baby shower to finally photograph everything and the lighting was dismal, to say the least. The fist headband was made using felt and diecuts, the second one was made using ribbon and a button for the center, and the last one was the easiest of them all; a premade embellishment from Hobby Lobby as well. I love that store, can you tell?
 Shoes....of course there are shoes. I thought how fun it would be to make a little pair of shoes for her baby's blessing day. White, pristine,precious.....ummmmmm.....NO! I will never make white shoes again. I poked my finger with a pin and almost bled all over the white fabric, I burnt the bottom while I was pressing them, etc. etc. What a pain....never again! They did, in the end, turn out salvageable, but they gave me fits! LOL!  I thought it would be cute to clip them together using a clothes pin and one of the "uniquely handmade" images on them for cohesiveness.


 Another example of my "cute as a button" bibs. Easy-peasy and perfect for using up left over scraps.  I did learn something to note, however. I did the embroidery using my walking foot since it was already on my machine from attaching the binding to the quilt. It did not stitch the pattern correctly, but I only noticed this once I had done an entire row. I decided to leave it for the entire bit, except for the tie. I have a Bernina sewing machine for those that may have one and want to use it for embroidery. You definitely need to have the right presser foot on for the right stitches! LOL!
And lastly, you can see a little paper project I worked on to include with the gift. The recipient is not into handmade cards and tags, but it would just KILL me to not have a tag on the gift, so I decided to give her something she could use and satisfy my vanity at the same time. I quickly made her a "Baby's First Year" booklet. I put it on a ring and she can flip through. Each page has a place to write milestones for each month as well as cute things her baby might do. I also included at the beginning a place for statistics and then in the back I made a page for all of her "firsts". It turned out cute and she loved it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dots and Damask Rag Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of the rag quilt that I made for my baby. It has been sitting here done for over a week now, but the sky has been so hazy that getting a good photograph has proven to be tough. Today, the sun has peeked through for a while so I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
I have a bajillion blankets from my oldest, but of course the new baby needs new things that are just for him. I had a lot of fun sewing this and picking the fabrics. I asked the sales lady at the quilt shop if the patterns looked too girly and she assured me that they didn't. Now that it is done, I don't think it looks girly. They had the same fabrics but with pink and brown and I am itching to make a girl one as well. I don't know of anyone who is having a girl, but I could always make it and save it for the next baby girl.
This particular quilt is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, rather than the 9 that I normally do. I was one square off from having enough to do 9, …

Corduroy Rag Quilt

I can't believe it has been over a year since I have posted anything here. The funny thing is that the project I am sharing today is also a rag quilt. My SIL is having a baby girl in the next week or 2, so I wanted to get some things made for her before I began on my own baby projects. I am hoping to post a bit more here since I have some fun projects lined up to make. I don't know what it is about babies that gets me motivated to sew. I also have a few Holiday projects that I am hoping to get done as well.

I purchased this baby wale corduroy a couple of months ago at Hobby and Lobby and fell in love. I wasn't sure how well it would work up into a rag quilt, but the results were fabulous. As I mentioned in my previous post, flannel has a tendency to pill, which drives me nuts. The corduroy is just as soft and perfect as it was prior to washing. The only "complaint" I have with the corduroy is the mess that it makes. I was covered in tiny pieces of fabric, my craf…

Handmade Handwarmers Tutorial

Hello and welcome to Thimbles and Thread, where today, I will be sharing a quick tutorial on a fun wintertime craft I enjoy making for family and friends. To start off, you will need to gather your supplies: Fun and festive fabric, rotary cutter, self-healing mat and quilting ruler, scissors, sewing machine, coordinating or matching thread, funnel and rice. I always like to have some Christmas music playing while I'm crafting, but that step is optional! Ha ha! 








You will want to cut your squares to your desired width. This year I cut them into 4 1/2 inch squares. I've made them 4 inch squares in the past.






The red warmers on top are 4 inches versus 4 1/2 inch warmers underneath. I thought I would show you both so you could choose which size you'd prefer. 4 inches is perfect size to clasp in your hand, but I ended up liking the bigger ones in the end.







Here you can see the difference between the 2 sizes before they are sewn.






Once you have your squares cut, you will need to place t…