Uniquely Handmade baby ensemble

 It's always a good day when I get to work on a baby project. I was invited to a baby shower for one of the gals in my previous neighborhood and it couldn't have come at a better time. The holidays were ending but my desires to be crafty and creative were still in full force. It was seriously the best after Christmas therapy I could have asked for. My older kiddos were home from school so I could just work on things each day and not have to worry about what the little ones were up to.  There is something so relaxing and rejuvenating about the creative process.

 I ALWAYS make rag quilts so I decided to switch things up and work on a traditional quilt instead. I fell in love with all of these gorgeous fabrics from Hobby Lobby. The quilt turned out so cute, I almost kept it for myself! Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone!

 The fabric that I used for the backing is my most favorite...it is so bright and cheery! The quilting was all done on my sewing machine and I just went with a stipple pattern. I always love how it looks when it it all done.  I'm still a beginner, but I hope to improve with each project that I work on. I have some fabric for a table runner that I was SUPPOSED to make last Valentine's Day, but I didn't get around to it. Hopefully I can get that done and practice some more.




 Here is a little trio of headbands that I created to match the quilt.  I also found this adorable stamp at Hobby Lobby when I was picking up the fabric and I knew how cute it would be to make all of the items have a "boutique" feel to them. I do apologize for the photos, I waited until the morning of the baby shower to finally photograph everything and the lighting was dismal, to say the least. The fist headband was made using felt and diecuts, the second one was made using ribbon and a button for the center, and the last one was the easiest of them all; a premade embellishment from Hobby Lobby as well. I love that store, can you tell?
 Shoes....of course there are shoes. I thought how fun it would be to make a little pair of shoes for her baby's blessing day. White, pristine,precious.....ummmmmm.....NO! I will never make white shoes again. I poked my finger with a pin and almost bled all over the white fabric, I burnt the bottom while I was pressing them, etc. etc. What a pain....never again! They did, in the end, turn out salvageable, but they gave me fits! LOL!  I thought it would be cute to clip them together using a clothes pin and one of the "uniquely handmade" images on them for cohesiveness.


 Another example of my "cute as a button" bibs. Easy-peasy and perfect for using up left over scraps.  I did learn something to note, however. I did the embroidery using my walking foot since it was already on my machine from attaching the binding to the quilt. It did not stitch the pattern correctly, but I only noticed this once I had done an entire row. I decided to leave it for the entire bit, except for the tie. I have a Bernina sewing machine for those that may have one and want to use it for embroidery. You definitely need to have the right presser foot on for the right stitches! LOL!
And lastly, you can see a little paper project I worked on to include with the gift. The recipient is not into handmade cards and tags, but it would just KILL me to not have a tag on the gift, so I decided to give her something she could use and satisfy my vanity at the same time. I quickly made her a "Baby's First Year" booklet. I put it on a ring and she can flip through. Each page has a place to write milestones for each month as well as cute things her baby might do. I also included at the beginning a place for statistics and then in the back I made a page for all of her "firsts". It turned out cute and she loved it!

Comments

Popular Posts