Skip to main content

Out to Sea baby ensemble


Today's post is part of my marathon crafting I have been up to lately. I have spent more time in my craft space than I have in a long time!  I have had a lot of fun and I'm still not done, but I wanted to share these things with you. If you want to see a little bit of some of the other things I have been working on you can see them here. There a few sewn projects you might enjoy looking at.

 I didn't really plan to have two nautical/sailor baby boy ensembles to share, that's just how things turned out. I had another boy shower to go to and I had so much fun working on the projects on my last post, that I thought I would just pick up from there. The theme of the shower is "under the sea/nautical" and I am helping with the decorations, so I thought I would have the gift match as well.

I saw an awesome quilt block that I decided would make a fantastic nautical bib. I didn't have dimensions or anything so I just got to work cutting, sewing, trimming and piecing and finally ended up with this bib. It turned out super cute, I think! There were a few places where my points didn't line up, but I'm finding that perfection is hard to come by these days!  Ha Ha!
 I laid it out flat for this picture so you can see the design better. I think I may try an entire quilt with these blocks sometime. It was fun to put together.
 I went searching for nautical flannel but came up empty handed so I decided just to grab a few different colors and patterns and get to work. It looks so fresh and summery! I think it will be perfect for lazy days outside or trips to the park.
 The squares on this quilt were 5 by 5 and I did 9 rows of 9 across. It is a little bit bigger than what I normally make, but I am sure it will work out great to lay down baby to play, etc.
 More bow ties...what little gentlemen doesn't need a nice set of bow ties? I love these three different fabrics and they look so cute together.
 There is something so precious about a baby in a bow tie, right? So dapper and sweet!  I made these with elastic neck bands so they can grow with baby!
 The shoes...one of my favorites. The first time I made these felt booties was in my last post and I decided to add the extra step of adding the strap. So glad I did...aren't they adorable? I really love it with the anchor button securing the strap in place.
 These booties were made using PTI felt and I have found that is the best to work with for these shoes. It is thicker than any other felt I have used and it seems to stitch up the best. I keep having problems with the holes tearing...don't know if that is a ME problem or a design problem. I think I will contact PTI and see if anyone else has had the same problem or to find out if I am doing something wrong.

 You can see them all packaged up here ready to go!  So boutique-y! Love it!   I also had a last minute decision to quickly make a binkie clip so I just whipped one up. It is quite long, I just folded it up for packaging. I like them to be a little long so that the baby doesn't feel too tethered! LOL!
The last project here is something that I put together to decorate the shower with, but will double as a gift. It is something I saw on Pinterest that I thought would be super easy to re-create. I just bought a canvas, paint and a star fish at Hobby Lobby and then added the vinyl lettering from a sister of a friend.

Comments

jan metcalf said…
Amazing projects! So well executed! Love the mix of patterns, the matching cards, exquisite!

Thanks for posting this useful content, Good to know about new things here, Let me share this, . cisco training in pune

Popular posts from this blog

Dots and Damask Rag Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of the rag quilt that I made for my baby. It has been sitting here done for over a week now, but the sky has been so hazy that getting a good photograph has proven to be tough. Today, the sun has peeked through for a while so I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
I have a bajillion blankets from my oldest, but of course the new baby needs new things that are just for him. I had a lot of fun sewing this and picking the fabrics. I asked the sales lady at the quilt shop if the patterns looked too girly and she assured me that they didn't. Now that it is done, I don't think it looks girly. They had the same fabrics but with pink and brown and I am itching to make a girl one as well. I don't know of anyone who is having a girl, but I could always make it and save it for the next baby girl.
This particular quilt is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, rather than the 9 that I normally do. I was one square off from having enough to do 9, …

Corduroy Rag Quilt

I can't believe it has been over a year since I have posted anything here. The funny thing is that the project I am sharing today is also a rag quilt. My SIL is having a baby girl in the next week or 2, so I wanted to get some things made for her before I began on my own baby projects. I am hoping to post a bit more here since I have some fun projects lined up to make. I don't know what it is about babies that gets me motivated to sew. I also have a few Holiday projects that I am hoping to get done as well.

I purchased this baby wale corduroy a couple of months ago at Hobby and Lobby and fell in love. I wasn't sure how well it would work up into a rag quilt, but the results were fabulous. As I mentioned in my previous post, flannel has a tendency to pill, which drives me nuts. The corduroy is just as soft and perfect as it was prior to washing. The only "complaint" I have with the corduroy is the mess that it makes. I was covered in tiny pieces of fabric, my craf…

Handmade Handwarmers Tutorial

Hello and welcome to Thimbles and Thread, where today, I will be sharing a quick tutorial on a fun wintertime craft I enjoy making for family and friends. To start off, you will need to gather your supplies: Fun and festive fabric, rotary cutter, self-healing mat and quilting ruler, scissors, sewing machine, coordinating or matching thread, funnel and rice. I always like to have some Christmas music playing while I'm crafting, but that step is optional! Ha ha! 








You will want to cut your squares to your desired width. This year I cut them into 4 1/2 inch squares. I've made them 4 inch squares in the past.






The red warmers on top are 4 inches versus 4 1/2 inch warmers underneath. I thought I would show you both so you could choose which size you'd prefer. 4 inches is perfect size to clasp in your hand, but I ended up liking the bigger ones in the end.







Here you can see the difference between the 2 sizes before they are sewn.






Once you have your squares cut, you will need to place t…