I can't believe it has been over a year since I have posted anything here. The funny thing is that the project I am sharing today is also a rag quilt. My SIL is having a baby girl in the next week or 2, so I wanted to get some things made for her before I began on my own baby projects. I am hoping to post a bit more here since I have some fun projects lined up to make. I don't know what it is about babies that gets me motivated to sew. I also have a few Holiday projects that I am hoping to get done as well.
I purchased this baby wale corduroy a couple of months ago at Hobby and Lobby and fell in love. I wasn't sure how well it would work up into a rag quilt, but the results were fabulous. As I mentioned in my previous post, flannel has a tendency to pill, which drives me nuts. The corduroy is just as soft and perfect as it was prior to washing. The only "complaint" I have with the corduroy is the mess that it makes. I was covered in tiny pieces of fabric, my craft area was completely fuzzy and I was tracking it all over the place as well. It is now neat and tidy, but it was a mess. I actually washed and dried the quilt twice to try and remove as much of the threads as possibe, checking the lint trap on my dryer occasionally to empty it.
I love the colors in this fabric and actually found a cute outfit to coordinate with it. I hope she likes it. I cut all of the squares 5 inches and used a 1/2 inch seam allowance. The quilt is 9 squares wide by 9 squares long. This fabric is a bit thinner than flannel, so I was debating whether to add some warm and natural batting to the quilt. I opted against the batting and I am glad I did.
Of course I had to create a handmade tag to coordinate as well. I used the same colors and elements in the fabric to tie it all together.
I went to the fabric store yesterday to purchase supplies for project #2, so stay tuned for that....and I promise it won't take a year! LOL!
P.S. pretend that I wasn't lazy and actually ironed the fabric for my backdrop! LOL!